2020 Call for Cities
Midwest UX is pleased to open the Call for Proposals for cities interested in hosting the 2020 Midwest UX conference.
Midwest UX is currently in its seventh year and growing fast to become the must-attend UX event in the Midwest, drawing speakers and attendees from inside and outside the region. The conference covers the practice and disciplines of User Experience, Interaction Design and Information Architecture. This year’s event is being held in Grand Rapids, MI, while previous cities have included Louisville, KY, Pittsburgh, PA, Indianapolis, IN, Cincinnati, and Columbus, OH.
The mission of the conference is twofold:
- We are working hard to provide a high-quality, low-cost conference with a focus around User Experience that meets the needs of our regional audience.
- We are committed to keeping the conference small and casual so we can support and foster the growth of the community.
The conference is a non-proﬁt enterprise, and the conference organizers and producers are all volunteers each year.
Is your city ready to host midwest UX 2020?
We are looking for a Conference Chair (and core team of conference producers and organizers) in cities around the Midwest to make a solid case for the conference to be held in their city in 2020. There is an expectation that the 2020 conference will be held within the October timeframe.
The ideal Midwest city candidate for Midwest UX 2020 will:
- Have a strong and vibrant design community
- Outline an engaging conference experience for roughly 400 attendees, including potential venues, a range of convenient hotels and high-level conference logistics
- Hosting a conference is a significant undertaking with a 14-month timeline. Midwest UX is committed to providing guidance and support to ensure continuity from the previous conferences and a strong foundation for the planning team.
- Name a conference chair and co-chair, submitted with biographies. This conference leadership team will lay out a vision for a conference that inspires attendees while elevating the practice of User Experience Design.
Submitting Your City
We encourage local design communities to take the opportunity to make a case for the conference to be held in their city. The detailed requirements for proposals are outlined below, along with a summary of the submission guidelines, timing, review and selection process.
Should you have any questions about the process, the requirements, or the conference itself, please send an email to Erik Dahl at firstname.lastname@example.org. All questions relating to clarification of information surrounding this Call will be responded to publicly.
If you are planning to submit a proposal, please email Erik Dahl at email@example.com to inform us of your intentions, so we can work with you to make all of the proposals as strong as possible.
We look forward to your submissions!
ALL submissions are due July 31, 2019 AT MIDNIGHT EST. Review and interviews will happen during August 2019.
2020 Host City will be announced in October at the Midwest UX 2019 conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Selection Criteria & Submission Requirements
The MidwestUX conference is a significant undertaking, and a successful proposal will be able to demonstrate:
- A proposed conference Chair or Co-Chairs (and planning committee, if known), including brief biographies for each individual
- A vision for the conference in your city
- A location that is convenient for attendees from the Midwest
- Venues capable of seating 400+ people theater-style; 2-3 smaller rooms capable of seating 200+ people each; and 3-6 rooms suitable for small sessions and workshops
- A selection of hotels near to the conference venue(s) at various prices and quality to suit the range of needs of conference attendees (e.g. from 3-star to 5-star accommodation); please include standard room rates
- A plan for providing Internet access (wi-fi) for attendees at all conference venues and events
- Catering services at the venue(s)
- Potential venues for conference social events and receptions
- A strong and vibrant local design community
- A summary of the process by which the submission was created
- An initial draft of a high-level production timeline leading up to the 2020 conference
- An initial draft of a budget for the conference
- You don’t have to have all the details completely figured out, but it should be clear who will be involved, what is your vision for the conference in your city, what you and your city have to offer, and how you plan on executing the event.
- It should be clear that we are looking for both a (1) Host City and a (2) Conference Chair and core planning committee to take the lead on MWUX20.
Benefits to Host Community
Hosting the MidwestUX conference will bring the regional Interaction Design and User Experience community to you. It will expose your local designers to the leading thinkers and practitioners in User Experience in personal, face-to-face encounters that you usually don’t get in your local community. It also provides you with an opportunity to showcase your local talents to the region.
Submissions should tell the story of the Midwest UX Conference in your city. Acceptable formats include websites, Powerpoint/Keynote, Word/Pages, PDF, and video. If submitting a multimedia/video presentation, please provide a written summary addressing the key criteria for selection.
All submissions should be sent via email to Erik Dahl at firstname.lastname@example.org and should clearly indicate the main contact person for the proposal.
If you are planning to submit a proposal, please email Erik Dahl at email@example.com to inform us of your intentions so we can work with you to make all of the proposals as strong as possible.
All questions should be sent to Erik Dahl at firstname.lastname@example.org.